Hi everyone! Today’s piece from the Student Repertoire Series is Luigi Marraccini’s “Zapateado.” You can see past Student Repertoire pieces here.
“Zapateado” is not only the title of this piece but also one of many styles of flamenco music. The style originated around the mid to late 1800s and was preceeded by a pre-flamenco style of music called the “tanguillo de Cádiz.”
The traditional zapateado and traditional tanguillo share the exact same meter and rhythm. The zapateado is actually a polyrhythmic style of flamenco at superimposes 3 meters: 2/4, 3/4 and 6/8 time. This polyrhythmic quality gives the musicians and dancers a lot of liberty to elaborate phrasing and play with the rhythm. The primary scale used for the style of “zapateado” is traditionally the major scale although modern zapateados have more harmonic liberty.
Traditionally the zapateado was written for flamenco dance and guitar (i.e., no singing) whereas the tanguillo was written for singing and instrumentation. Nowadays we don't see many zapateados with flamenco dance. Instead, the style has become a staple of flamenco solo guitar. Some popular examples of this are Paco de Lucia’s ‘Percusión Flamenca’ & Vicente Amigo’s ‘Oriente Mediterráneo’ or ‘Vivencias Imaginadas.’ This video also includes a close-up view with the piece played at a very slow tempo. Please use this section to work out any trouble spots that you may have.
RECORDING GEAR I USE & RECOMMEND
• Vocal Mic (Acacia Liz Lav Platinum TA4) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LizLavPlT4Blk--acacia-liz-platinum-lavalier-microphone-for-shure-wireless-black
• Vocal Mic Adapter NEEDED (Acacia LIZ-HW Hardwired Headset Microphone Adapter - TA4F to XLR) https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/LizHWAdapter--acacia-liz-hw-adapter-for-shure-wireless-t4-to-xlr
• Guitar Mic (Neumann KM184): https://amzn.to/3rod6Ld
• Headphones (Sony MDR-CD900ST): https://amzn.to/3NGaJNf
• Speakers (Rokit 8): https://amzn.to/3r0JpQ1
• Speaker Cables (WBC 1/4 inch) https://amzn.to/3j4okQd
• Mic Cable (Mogami) https://amzn.to/3KeqWqH
• Mic Stand (K&M Low Level) https://amzn.to/3j45hWs
• Camera: iPhone 12 Pro
• Camera iPhone Tripod w/ level (Ubeesize 50-in) https://amzn.to/3NMDMig
• Lighting Kit (Neewer 660LED) https://amzn.to/38s330W
• Audio Interface (Apogee Duet 3) https://amzn.to/3LF9wDR
GUITAR GEAR I USE & RECOMMEND • Guitar (Marshall Bruné Custom Flamenco-Classical) https://www.mebrune.com
• Guitar Support (ErgoPlay Tappert) https://amzn.to/3j4kwP1
• Strings (D’Addario EJ45C) https://amzn.to/3j4kwP1
• String Winder (D’Addario) https://amzn.to/36OHQOn
• Guitar Stand (Gleam) https://amzn.to/3u63Xsc
• Capo (Shubb Classical) https://amzn.to/3DU5KEh